So do Mini Goldendoodles shed? And if so how much?
We understand that you may be looking for a dog that is hypoallergenic, clean, and easy to maintain.
So is the Mini Goldendoodle your kind of dog? Let’s find out in this post!
Do Mini Goldendoodles Shed?
Mini Goldendoodles can shed although they are known to be one of the least shedding breeds. Remember that a Mini Goldendoodle is a combination between a golden retriever and a poodle.
A Mini Goldendoodle puppy that has more genes from the poodle with shed less. While a Mini Goldendoodle puppy who takes more of the retriever traits will shed a little.
Regardless, Mini Goldendoodles are so popular because of how little they shed and are great for people and family members with allergies.
How Bad Do Mini Goldendoodles Shed?
To help answer how bad Mini Goldendoodles shed, you need to understand the various breeds.
Here’s a quick breakdown:
- First Generation (F1) – Breeding a Poodle and a Golden Retriever
- Second Generation (F2) – Breeding Two F1 Mini Goldendoodles
- First Generation B (F1B) – Breeding An F1 Mini Goldendoodle With A Poodle
- Second Generation B (F2B) – Breeding An F2 Mini Goldendoodle With A Poodle
- Third Generations (F3) – Breeding Between Combinations of F1B and F2B Mini Goldendoodles
Now that’s a lot to get your head around, but here’s an easy way to understand it.
As you go further down the generations, you tend to have more poodle in your Mini Goldendoodle. They thus will also shed less.
An F1B for example (Mini Goldendoodle Bred With A Poodle) is 25% Retriever and 75% Poodle.
Further combinations may increase or decrease this percentage to determine how much your Mini Goldendoodle may shed.
When purchasing your Mini Goldendoodle puppy, you can ask your breeder if your new puppy has been tested for commonly identified genes which can help determine their shedding potential.
Why Is My Mini Goldendoodles Shedding?
Did you expect to get a completely hypoallergenic puppy without any issues shedding?
This can be a common misconception for new owners of Mini Goldendoodles.
But remember, understand that:
- Your Mini Goldendoodle may shed a little regardless of the generation
- A larger amount of retriever genes will also increase the likelihood that it will shed.
Also keep in mind the quality of their coat, how clean you keep it, and also whether your Mini Goldendoodle puppy is finding itself in environments (tight spaces, excessive vegetation, etc.) that may also increase the chances of it shedding.
What Percentage Of Goldendoodles Shed?
This again comes back to genetics but let’s break down the numbers.
Most Mini Goldendoodle owners tend to prefer the F1B category because it has arguably the best combination between retriever, poodle, and shedding qualities.
Assume the following:
- Parent 1: Poodle has a 100% chance of not shedding (not completely true but we’ll go with it for now)
- Parent 2: Golden Retriever has a 50% chance of not shedding.
Your offspring then has a potential of having about a 50-100% chance of light shedding.
Which Goldendoodle Coat Sheds The Least?
There are three styles of fur coats that Mini Goldendoodle often have.
- The Wavy Coat – This is the most common coat and also a low to medium likelihood to shed
- The Curly Coat – This coat takes more of the curls from the poodle side of the breed. This is also why this style of coat will shed the least.
- The Straight Coat – This coat will take on more features of the retriever side of the breed and thus will shed the most of all three coats.
Do Goldendoodles Shed Their Puppy Coat?
Yes Mini Goldendoodles will shed their puppy coat. This often happens between 6-9 months.
It will take about 8-10 weeks for a Mini Goldendoodle puppy to grow it’s full coat. Thus expect it to lose it’s puppy coat closer to the 6 months.
During this coat shedding process, also remember that the color of the coat may change slightly.
Do Goldendoodles Have Hair Or Fur?
Pay attention because many new Mini Goldendoodle owners get this wrong.
Mini Goldendoodle have hair as their coat. This is also why it’s so important to properly maintain the coat of a new Mini Goldendoodle puppy to avoid matting and damage.
This will also make sure that: 1) Your puppy will shed less from damage and 2.) Their beautiful coat will remain healthy!
Best Brush To Groom Your Mini Goldendoodle
Want to reduce your Mini Goldendoodle’s shedding?
Image if you could reduce it by upwards to 95%!
If so I think you’ll love this neat shedding tool.
Here are a few highlights:
- Takes less than 10 minutes to do!
- Removes upwards to 95% of tangles and dead hair
- Extremely durable with stainless steel
- Lifetime Satisfaction Guranatee!
Check out this awesome shedding tool for your new Mini Goldendoodle here.
And as a bonus, check out these additional top two grooming tools specifically for Mini Goldendoodles.
First we have a slicker brush. These are amazing for:
- Grooming your Mini Goldendoodle in one easy swoop
- It’s self cleaning!
- Super durable with stainless steel comb brush
- Comes with additional accessories including the brush and nail clippers!
Learn what nearly 1,000 other buyers have had to say here!
Hopefully now you can feel more confident when asking or being asked: do Mini Goldendoodles shed?
While they do shed, they are still one of the most preferable breeds because of their relatively low shedding potential.
Thanks for checking out this post. You may also enjoy the following:
- Top Posts
- When Do Goldendoodles Stop Teething? [Expectations]
- 12 Best Toys for Goldendoodles You Must See
Be sure to share this any future Mini Goldendoodle owners!
Thanks for reading!